History and art
Petrovaradin Fortress – Also known as “Danube’s Gibraltar”, it is located on the right bank of Danube River near Novi Sad. Its clock tower is a recognizable symbol of Petrovaradin and Novi Sad. The mechanism within the clock is still winded by hand and the clock sounds a bell every hour.
Patriarch’s Palace in Sremski Karlovci – The Palace is the administrative centre of the Serbian Orthodox Church and contains the Treasury-museum of Serbian Orthodox Church.
Gymnasium in Sremski Karlovci – The Gymnasium in Karlovci treasures 18198 books within its Memorial Library, many of which were written in 18th and 19th century and are today considered a part of Serbian national treasure. This school nurtures studying of modern and classical languages: Latin, Ancient Greek, English, German, Russian, Spanish, Italian and Chinese.
Four Lions Fountain in Sremski Karlovci – This drinking fountain is located in the centre of Sremski Karlovci, which is dedicated to the poet Branko Radičević. The legend says that those who drink from this fountain shall return to Sremski Karlovci someday.
Peace Chapel in Sremski Karlovci was built in 1817 at the place where the Treaty of Karlowitz (in 1699) was signed between the coalition of European Christian countries and the Ottoman Empire, concluding the Austro-Ottoman War. This was the first time in history of diplomacy that a round table was used for negotiation.
Branko Radicevic’s grave, Stražilovo – NP Fruška Gora – Branko Radičević was a great romanticist and enthusiastic supporter of ideas of Vuk Stefanović Karadžić. He was the first author to write his poems in reformed Serbian language.